The Reformed Church is, in terms
of numbers, the largest denomination in Hungary, after the Roman
The Calvinist trend of the Reformation in Hungary adopted
two confessions at Debrecen in 1567: the Heidelberg Catechism,
and the Second Helvetian Confession.
The existence of the Reformed Church in Hungary dates from
this Debrecen Synod of 1567. Among the Presbyterian churches
it is the only one that has had, and still has, bishops in
additions to general curators (lay presidents) at the head
of Church Districts.
At present the registered number of Reformed Hungarians world-wide
is about three and a half million.